Learning about sewing clothes

January 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM
Sewing books

Well, I've been immersing myself in reading about the world of sewing apparel. Pictured above are some of the books I've been dipping into and enjoying reading. I like sew what! Skirts because it teaches you to draft the skirt patterns yourself based on your own measurements. The only thing is, I don't really wear a lot of skirts (especially not in Canada in the middle of winter). Also, comfort is of paramount importance to me. Of course, I want to look chic and stylish: but if it's not comfortable, I'm not going to wear it. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to explore some of the A-line styles in fabrics I like.

I also really like the ideas in the book Design-it-Yourself-Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified. Using your own measurements, Cal Patch teaches you how to make your own basic t-shirt, shirt, dress and pant patterns, each with several variations. But, clearly my sewing skills need to improve before I embark on such an undertaking. So...back to working on the train of projects in S.E.W. Sew Everything Worksop. Next stop: zippers!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...