for the love of sewing and skirts

October 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM
matryoshka doll lazy day skirt

Even though I've only been sewing for a few months, I've fallen in love with it. Sewing is such a liberating skill. It's so satisfying to be able to create something with one's own hands. I especially love being able to give handmade gifts, sewn with much love. I'm hoping eventually that my skills will improve enough so that I can start making some clothing for myself. As a petite person, I often run into challenges when trying to buy well-fitting ready-to-wear clothing in styles that suit my figure and appeal to my tastes.

I'm so grateful to Oliver + S for making this free and lovely Lazy Days skirt pattern available because it's the pattern that helped launch my sewing endeavours. Although many sewing books suggested making a pincushion or headband as a first project, I really wanted to make something for someone special in my life. Enter my daughter. Oh, I'm so glad I have a daughter to sew for! And, the fact that she enjoys being a "girly" girl makes it even more fun. (Don't worry, I won't leave out my son...I'll try hard to figure out what he might like.) As a mother of young children, I'm not able to attend sewing classes easily. So, being self-taught, I really appreciate the clear directions that Liesl gives in her Lazy Days skirt pattern.

I debated about joining this wonderful Lazy Days Skirt sew-along. But, having already made 4 of these skirts these past few months, I thought I would instead blog about the ones I've already made. (Also, I want to use my limited sewing time to work on a Halloween costume for my 9 month-old son. What's he going to be, you ask? Oh, a clown....it's going to be really cute...I'm thinking of self-drafting the pattern. We'll see how it goes. Don't worry, I'll report back).

Okay, folks, here it is....my first sewing creation since ninth grade Family Studies class (in which I made a ghastly boxy t-shirt that was not wearable and a basic straight blue elastic waist skirt that was barely wearable):

first lazy day skirt

I used thrifted fabric and ribbon for this since I was very unsure about my sewing abilities at this point. Then after finishing it, I felt a sense of exhilaration and immediately went online and bought some fun fabrics to make more! The second skirt I made is the one pictured at the top of this post.

I've always loved matryoshka dolls. I don't know why. Something about all of them being nested inside one another; so symbolic of a long lineage of mothers. So, naturally, I fell in love with this fabric. Stay tuned, the next post will feature the other two skirts (umm, I still have to take a photo of one of them, and thus the "2 post" nature of this topic!).
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...